Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Peach Jam


I had tons of peaches, that were getting pretty soft. I didn’t feel like slicing all of them for canning or making pie fillings so I decided to try some peach jam. I used the recipe out of the certo pectin box that I had and away I went.

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped peaches
½ cup lemon juice
7 ½ cup granulated sugar
2 pouches of Certo Liquid pectin
8-9 1 cup (1/2 pint) sterile jars and lids

Directions:
1.Combine the fruit, lemon juice and sugar in a pot.
2.Bring the fruit to a hard boil and let boil for 1 minute while stirring.
3.Remove the pot from heat and stir in the liquid pectin. Stir and skim off the foam for about 5 mintues (this lets the jam cool a little and thicken so all the fruit doesn’t float to the top).
4.Pour the jam into sterilized warm jars, up to about ¼” from the rims. Place the lids on and leave sit at room temperature to cool and set.
5.Check the lids to insure they have sealed – press gently in the middle of the lid, if it moves up and down your jar is not sealed. It is still alright as long as you put it in the fridge and use it right away.

Reviews:
This jam is a lovely warm yellow and looks awesome. I haven’t tried it yet, as I have open jars of blueberry and cherry jelly and strawberry rhubarb jam already in the fridge. However the little “spills” while filling the jars tasted great!

No comments: