Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cherry Chocolate Brownies



Alright, so coming home from the inlaws I brought with me a few pounds of cherries. Alright is was probably 10 to 15 pounds of cherries, but they were oh so good. Upon making both myself and O sick from eating cherries I decided I needed to get some of these things out of my fridge to remove the temptation and give my poor stomach a break.

I have done a few things with the cherries, but I will start with the brownies. My inspiration came from watching the Cherry episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network. They featured a cherry brownie, and I thought that was a great idea. I got to work on google and didn't come across a recipe that caught my fancy, so decided to try my own.

A quick note - the cherries I used are a very dark and sweet cherry. I don't know what kind they are, as around here we just call them BC cherries - I doubt everyone in BC growns the same cherries, but hey what do I know.


Ingredients:
½ cup butter
3 oz dark chocolate (I used and 85% cocoa chocolate bar)
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup flour
~1 cup fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted ( I pulsed these in the food processor so they were anywere from 1/4 to ½ of a cherry.)
½ cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a saucepan over low heat. Once it is smooth add the sugar and vanilla removing from heat. Then add the eggs, stirring to avoid cooking the eggs – no one wants chunks of scrambled eggs in their brownie!
2. Stir in ½ cup of the flour. Depending on how juicy your cherries are you may not need the other ¼ cup of flour.
3. Fold in the Chocolate chips, followed by the cherries. If your cherries were quite juicy and the batter became thinner, add the ¼ cup of extra flour and fold in.
4. Pour into an 8x8 baking dish (I line mine with parchment paper, alternatively you could butter and flour the dish) and bake at 350F for 35 minutes.


Reviews
This was a moist brownie somewere between a my fudgey brownie and a cake like brownie. O enjoyed them and they smelled great.

No comments: