Friday, August 14, 2009

Freezer Peach Pie Filling


Owen loves peach pie in all sorts of variety, he especially loves to have pies in the middle of winter. I know that you could just go out and buy a can of peaches or pie filling – but what fun is that when I have more than enough peaches at home right now? I love the ease of just taking something out of the freezer as well, so I often make a few pie fillings with the fruit I get in the summer and pop them in the freezer.

Ingredients/materials:
4 to 5 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches (This was the amount of fruit that looked good to me in the pie plate, you might want more or less, use how much you like)
½ cup sugar (if you have really sweet fruit you may want to decrease this)
¼ cup flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1.Place the peach slices in a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Gently mix until everything is well mixed.
2.Place a Ziploc freezer back inside a pie plate and spoon the mixture into the bag, filling the plate.
3.Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. Put the pie plate with the bag of fruit in the freezer. The pie plate can be removed after the filling has frozen.

When you want to bake the pie:
1.Remove the pie from the freezer, and place in an unbaked crust. Cover with the top crust and seal the edges. Cut vents in the top of the crust.
2.Bake at 375F about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours – the crust should be brown, and the filling bubbling in the center.

Note: A lot of recipes say to wrap the pie filling in tin/aluminum foil, I tried that last year, and while it kept the fillings fresh, it was a pain to peal off before baking. More than once, I had to sit with a fork and pick out pieces that had ripped off. So this year I am trying the bag route, I figure they work really well for all my freezer meals so hopefully they will keep my pie fillings tasty.

No comments: