Sunday, August 16, 2009

Freezing Cherries Take 2

So after freezing plain cherries, I decided to be a little adventures and try freezing the cherries in a syrup. Upon looking, I decided I wanted something I could just pop out of the freezer and into a cobbler or pie like I do with my apricot and peach pies. This is now sitting in my freezer and looking pretty good. I will have to take it out soon and see how well it worked.

Ingredients:
5-6 cups of cherries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tbsp cornstarch

Directions:
1. Wash, stem and pit the cherries.
2. In a saucepan combine the juice from the cherries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat.
3. Heat the mixture until it becomes a thick syrup (5-7 minutes)
4. Add the cherries, I heated for a little longer at this point as there was additional juice with the cherries from them sitting while I made the syrup.
5. Pour into a large freezer bag, squeeze all the air out and seal. Label and place in freezer.

Baking:
Remove from the freezer and let thaw, place in a pie or top for a cobbler. Bake according the instructions for a pie or cobbler - whichever you have decided to do.

I will let you all know how this turned out when i get it out of the freezer to try!

No comments: