Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Apricot Jam


My husband decided he wanted some apricots this year when we got out peaches. Little did I know that he asked for 10lbs of apricots. I knew he would be unable to eat them all before they went bad, and as I am not a huge apricot fan and would have peaches, he would be getting no help from me as far as eating them. When asked what I should do with all the excess apricots, he requested jam. I pulled out my handy Certo insert sheet, and luckily apricot jam was listed – woo hoo no searching out a recipe.

Ingredients:
3 cups chopped apricots (pitted, but not peeled). I pulsed them quickly in the food processor which was quick and easy.
¼ cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar
1 pouch of Certo Liquid Pectin
6-7 1 cup (1/2 pint) sterilized jars and lids.

How To:
1.Mix the sugar, lemon juice and fruit in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a hard boil (doesn’t stop boiling when stirred). Continue boiling for 1 minute while stirring.
2.Remove the pot from heat and stir in the liquid pectin. Stir and skim off the foam for about 5 mintues (this lets the jam cool a little and thicken so all the fruit doesn’t float to the top).
3.Pour the jam into sterilized warm jars, up to about ¼” from the rims. Place the lids on and leave sit at room temperature to cool and set.
4.Check the lids to insure they have sealed – press gently in the middle of the lid, if it moves up and down your jar is not sealed. It is still alright as long as you put it in the fridge and use it right away.

Review:
This was a lovely orange-yellow color. I am not a huge apricot fan, and have yet to try it, but between my husband and friend over the weekend at least ½ if not a whole jar has already disappeared. O preferred to eat his on toast, and enjoyed it, while Iza spent the weekend munching on jam scooped on graham crackers (occasionally with a marshmallow).

No comments: