Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Cookbook Trial: Baking, From my home to yours

One week when I was looking for a recipe on something I came across the Tuesdays With Dorie group, and upon looking at some of the recipes they had done, I decided I needed to look into this cookbook (Baking, From my home to yours, by Dorie Greenspan). I was at the library before leaving to visit my inlaws, and saw the book there, so I grabbed it and took it with me on my vacation - I mean what says relaxing time better than baking? (Oh and it wouldn't hurt to impress the inlaws a little).

I ended up trying two recipes while I was at the inlaws. The first was the Raspberry Blanc-manger.


I picked this recipe as I was told there were raspberries in the fridge that needed to get used, and it required no baking - keeping the oven off is a bonus when it is 36C outside!

The recipe is great and really easy to make. I didn't have a single problem making it and everyone loved it. It really didn't last long before it was all eaten. It was a great light and creamy dessert, especially for the heat of summer.

The second recipe I tried was the Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake on page 264.

O discovered a picture of this in the book and immediately wanted it - he loves almost anything to due with brownies.



The recipe was fairly easy to make, although it was difficult to tell when the caramel was done and I ended up with a darker caramel than I would have liked. Note, that if it looks like a semi golden colour to take it off the heat Now! It gets too dark really quickly.

The cake got lots of people walking through the kitchen asking when it was going to be done, and lots of people staring at it before it was ready to be served. No one else seemed to care that the caramel was too dark and it quickly disappeared.

I liked the recipes I tried from this book and will hopefully be trying more. My inlaws loved that I brought the book and didn't want me or the book to leave. It is getting added to my cookbook wishlist, so for now I will just keep taking out the library copy and trying a few more recipes.

1 comment:

Lorena Sims said...

This is the same cookbook, right?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Baking/Dorie-Greenspan/e/9780618443369/?itm=1