Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner


I love turkey dinners – complete with all the fixings, and I love not cooking them. However, as a surprise this year, I was asked to cook dinner – all alone. My mother was not near a phone to answer questions, Owen had disappeared to work on his truck. I was in the house staring at a raw turkey on the counter and trying to figure out what on earth I was doing.
When in doubt – turn on the food network, luckily airing thanksgiving specials all day. So after putting a pie in the oven (I already knew what to do for that!), watching food network for a couple hours and googling turkey tips, I got to work and got that bird in the oven. I opted for a stovetop stuffing (from scratch), and just filled the turkey with some apples (yes there are still apples around) and onions.
Three and a half hours later I had a great dinner just finishing as everyone returned from their adventures.
Our menu consisted of: (recipes to be posted in the next few days)
Roasted turkey

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Steamed Carrots
Gravy
Flaky Butter Buns (these were from Mom’s Pantry line of frozen foods)
Maple Apple Pie

Pumpkin Pie
Key Lime Pie

Oh, and for snacking: pumpkin cinnamon rolls and pumpkin n’ cream cookies

2 comments:

zebe912 said...

How did you like the maple apple pie?

VikkiB said...

The maple apple pie was a big hit. It is O's favorite apple pie so far! (I think it is the 4th one I have done this fall).