Monday, October 5, 2009

Cinnamon Apple Chips


Cinnamon Apple Chips

With 120lbs of apples sitting in my apartment, and knowing I could only make so many pies before my freezer and friends were full, I had to find other ways to deal with the apples. One of the people at work offered to lend me a dehydrator – this sounded like a fantastic idea, they would keep for quite a while and would be easy to store.

Ingredients:
4-5 Apples (I used both Gala and Mac apples. Both were tasty, so just pick if you would like something sweet or a little more tart).
½ to 1 tbsp sugar (prefer brown, but white is tasty as well)
1 tbsp cinnamon

Directions
1. Peel and core the apples. Slice into thin slices (I did all of this using my Apple Peeler, Corer Slicer – this little gadget has been a life saver for dealing with all these apples).
2. Sprinkle the rings of the apples with the sugar and cinnamon.

3. Lay on the trays of the dehydrator. Leave a small space between each of the rings so they won't stick together.
4. Dehydrate for about 6 hours at 135F. The apples will be dry but pliable when they are done (ie they shouldn’t be sticky to the touch or squishy, but won’t snap if you bend them).
5. Let cool to room temperature (they will become a little more crisp) and store in an airtight container.

Reviews:
Everyone has loved these chips, and they disappear quickly after I put them out. I am making a lot more of these than originally planned because they have been so popular.

No comments: