Monday, October 5, 2009

Cheesy Potato Soup



I came across a recipe in my Soup of the Day cookbook for Potato, spinach au-gratin Soup. Oh this sounded good, it got me thinking and I new I had to have a yummy potato spinach and cheese soup. I didn’t like all the cream in the given recipe so I went and did my own thing.

Ingredients:
~5 cups cubed potatoes
~2 cups chicken stock
1 cup chopped ham
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk (I used 1%, but I am sure any type of milk will work)
¾ cup grated old chedder
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
1. Place the potatoes into pot and just cover with the chicken stock. Cover and simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
2. As the potatoes are finishing cooking start making the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a separate pot. Once the butter is melted whisk in the flour. Slowly add the milk while whisking and let heat over medium heat until thick. Add the cheese to the white sauce and let melt.
3. Once the potatoes are tender, mash about 1/3 of the potatoes into the broth. Then pour in the cheese sauce and stir. Add the ham, spinach, salt and pepper.
4. Leave on the stove until the soup is heated through and the spinach is tender.
5. Serve.

Reviews:
This was an extremely yummy soup and the leftover were great as well. I look forward to trying this again with onions and bacon!

No comments: