Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pressed Apple Juice

I am a big fan of apple juice, I use it my smoothies, I drink it and it never lasts more than a day or so around our house. With that said I am always on the look out for ‘the best’ apple juice. After a bumper crop of crab apples last year my parents made some pressed apple juice, it was delicious. I knew I had to use up some of the apples quickly, so I took them out to my parents and my Dad and I got to work making juice.

Ingredients:
A mixture of sweet and tart apples (I used about 30lbs of apples for this, and I did use some macs which are not the juiciest of apples.)

Directions:
1. Make sure the apples are clean.
2. Half or quarter the apples and them turn them into a mash. To do this we used a sterilized meat grinder.

3. Put the apple mash into the into a cloth, with this large number of apples we used a pillow case.
4. Apply pressure to the apple mash to extract the juice. To do this we used a sterilized sausage stuffer, which worker fairly well, as they do require a lot of pressure if you want to get all the juice out.
5. Pour the juice into sterilized jars and place the lids on. (Note the apple juice will be very brown at this point as nothing has been added to stop it from reacting with the air. Don’t worry, it won’t affect the taste.)
6. Process the jars in boiling water for 20 minutes. The juice will become lighter in color after processing.


Reviews:
From the approximately 20 pounds of apples, I got 6.5 quarts of juice. The juice is very strong and could be diluted with water if you wanted, but I wanted a strong juice and left it. Upon trying this O commented that it tasted just like an apple – that is a good start considering it is made from nothing but apples! Due to all the gala apples I used, I now have a fairly sweet juice, but it so good.

This is a cloudy juice – you will not be able to see through the juice. Upon looking on the a few articles, it could be that this juice is better for you than it’s clear counterparts. The particles will settle as it sits and you can pour the juice off if you wish.

No comments: