Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Peanut Butter Jack-o-lanterns
I am in the halloween cookie spirit these days and wanted to try some other cookies, as I had so much fun with the spider web cookies. I wanted some quick cookies, and a friend suggested that I do peanut butter cookies. Peanut butter cookies are a huge hit in out house, so I thought this was a great idea. I grabbed a quick peanut butter cookie recipe that had a decent amount of peanut butter and got cooking.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the peanut butter and egg and beat until well mixed.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar until it is just mixed.
3. Wrap the dough in saran wrap/cling wrap and place in the fridge for three hours.
4. Heat the oven to 375F, and make 1 tbsp balls on the cookie sheet. Flatten the balls with your fingers or the back of a spoon so they are smooth and cook the cookies for 8-9 minutes.
5. Cool the cookies on a rack. Once they are cool melt the semisweet chocolate chips, and put them in a plastic ziploc. Remove a small corner of the bag and pipe the melted chocolate onto the cookies to make faces.
This is a yummy recipe for pb cookies, and have been a big hit with everyone who has tried them. My students and coworkers loved the faces on the cookies, and mix of peanut butter and chocolate is great - who would have guessed??