Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken


After the success of the Magic in the Middle cookies and the fantastic Cookie Dough Topped Brownies, I started looking around My Kitchen CafĂ© a little more. I was in need of a super recipe and feeling completely uninspired to make anything. I clicked on her Sweet and sour chicken recipe. I instantly knew I had to make this – and the best thing was that it called for ingredients I keep stocked at all times!

Chicken
3 medium to large chicken breasts
1 cup corn starch
2 eggs (mixed in a bowl)
salt and pepper
¼ cup canola oil ( I plan on switching this to sunflower or safflower oil next time)

1. Cube the chicken, I did about ½ to 1” cubes – but as long as they are even it doesn’t really matter. While you are doing this, put the oil in a frying pan and heat it.
2. Sprinkle the salt and pepper (to your own tastes) over the chicken cubes and mix.
3. Drop chunks of chicken into the corn starch and coat. Transfer to the eggs and coat.
4. Fry the chunks of coated chicken in the oil until they are browned on the outside, but not cooked through.
5. Place in a casserole dish.

Sauce
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

1. Mix the sauce ingredients together until well blended and pour over browned chicken.
2. Bake at 325F for one hour, turning the chicken every 15 minutes.
Note: I didn’t think the sauce was thickening enough, so I added a little extra cornstarch (about 1 tsp) to it for the last 15 minutes and it worked beautifully.
3. Serve over white rice

Reviews:
Oh wow was this every yummy. It gave us a good supper and we had enough leftovers for the both of us for lunch, which is fantastic! I was worried about the texture of the coating on the chicken after reheating – but there was no need for such things. The leftovers were just as good as the fresh dish. I am adding this to my regular recipe file!

2 comments:

zebe912 said...

This also looks to be gluten free which is nice. I'm not generally a fan of sweet & sour, but maybe if I make my own sauce I can adjust it to be something both B & I like.

VikkiB said...

That is a great idea, you will have to let me know how your sauce changes to it - I might want to give it a try.