Monday, September 14, 2009

Classic "Key" Lime Pie


Creamy “Key” Lime Pie

Alright, so I am not big on pies that have chunks in them, but I love creamy pies. And I love lime, I will eat almost anything lime flavored. So naturally I am in love with lime pies. I have previously tried a “cheater” key lime pie, and it was great (people at work still demand it whenever there is a potluck), but I wanted to try the real thing. I stumbled upon this recipe for “Classic Key Lime pie” and decided I HAD to try it. To my luck key limes and key lime juice are pretty hard to find here (go figure that a citrus fruit is hard to find in the frozen north – I exaggerate, we do get a month or two of nice weather a year). Sadly I had to use regular lime juice – it was still yummy.

“Key” Lime Pie
Crust
1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup melted margerine
¼ cup shredded coconut

Filling
3 large egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces or 300ml can)
2/3 cup Lime juice (I used Realime)

Directions:
1. Mix the ingredients for the crust together and press into the bottom of 9 inch pie dish. Bake at 325F for 15min. Let sit as you mix the filling.
2. Put the egg yolks into a bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed for 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the condensed milk until smooth and then beat at high speed for 4 minutes. It should thicken and increase a little in volume.
4. Add the lime juice and stir until the mixture is just combined.
5. Pour the pie into the crust and bake at 325F for about 25 minutes. (The recipe said that the middle of the pie should be around 145F, but mine was higher than that and was still fine).
6. Remove the pie from the oven and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours.
7. Enjoy


Reviews:
I LOVED this pie, I sat down and ate ¼ of the pie and still wanted more. It was so light, creamy and not too much sweetness allowing the lime to shine. O thought it was alright, but he isn’t a fan of anything to tart or sour, so limes are not a big favorite of his. We had friends over and before they knew it they were done their second slices of pie and having to stop themselves from going for another – apparently I am not the only one addicted to this pie.

The coconut in the crust is great as well – a nice little surprise that adds something to the pie, but doesn’t distract from the fantastic lime filling.

No comments: