Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bacon Venison Tenderloin




I grew up with venison and I like it, but I am always looking for new ways to cook it. Upon browsing Allrecipes I came across a delicious looking recipe for venison backstrap. I knew I had a tenderloin in the freezer and decided to try it (well something similar).

Ingredients:
1 venison tenderloin (I am sure that this would also be great with any red meat)
~2 cups apple juice
~1 cup BBQ sauce
½ lb of bacon slices

How to:
1. Place the tenderloin in a Ziploc bag and add the apple juice. You need enough juice the cover the tenderloin.
2. Place in the fridge overnight to marinade.
3. Pour out the apple juice and replace with the BBQ sauce, again you need enough sauce to cover the tenderloin.
4. Place in the fridge to marinade during the day.
5. When ready to make supper heat the BBQ or grill.
6. As the grill is heating take out the tenderloin and slice into about 1 to 1 ½ inch slices. Do not scrape the any BBQ sauce that is clinging to the meat off.
7. Wrap a slice of bacon around the slice of tenderloin and secure with a toothpick.
8. Cook the slices on the grill.

Reviews:
O loved this – as he says, wrap anything in bacon and it will be good.
I enjoyed this as well, the apple juice and the bbq sauce resulted in a tender piece of meat with a reduction in the “wild” taste of the meat. I will be making this again the next time I can get my hands on a venison tenderloin!

1 comment:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

OHMYGOSH...this looks wonderful and my son got an eight-point Thursday night so this is what's going to be for dinner! I can't wait to see how it turns out, thanks for posting this!
XOXO
Joni