Thursday, January 7, 2010

Quick Dinner - Grilled Tuna Melt


There are some days that I need a quick dinner – or a dinner that is easy to transport. Sandwiches are great for a supper on the go and for something quick, but after eating plain old sandwiches for lunch a few days a week – you don’t really want them for supper. The other problem with a sandwich is that I like my suppers to be at least warm in the winter. So when I am feeling a bit lazy or need something quick we will often have a grilled cheese, but even that gets old after a while.

I decided to spice it up a little while ago and do a tuna melt instead of a plain grilled cheese. Now in the summer I will often make these as an openface sandwich, but I needed these to be portable, so I decided on a grilled version – kind of like a grilled cheese.

Grilled Tuna Melt.

Ingredients:
2 cans of tuna, drained
3 to 4 tbsp Miracle Whip (or mayonase)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 to ½ cucumber chopped
salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese
slices of bread

Directions:
1.In a bowl combine the tuna, miracle whip, celery, cucumber, salt and pepper until mixed You want enough mayonnaise/miracle whip to hold everything together.
2.Butter two slices of bread. On the unbuttered side place tuna mixture (between ¼ cup and ½ cup, to your liking), sprinkle with cheese and top with the second slice of bread (buttered side out).
3.In a hot frypan, grill the sandwich – just like a grilled cheese, until the bread is toasted and cheese has melted.
4.Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each sandwich.

I usually get about 4 to 6 sandwiches depending on the size of the bread and how full I decide to fill them that day.

Reviews:
I love these sandwiches on a cool night. They are warm, creamy, cheesy, crunchy and just comforting! They made a great portable supper when I needed to run some food to O who was working late one night, and was great for him to eat as he could just pick it up.

No comments: