Monday, July 21, 2008

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

I was in the mood for something sweet and chocolately, but as the outside temperature was around 33C (and the inside of my little apartment wasn’t much better) turning on the oven to actually bake something was not going to happen. I needed something that would require no heat to make and minimal effort on my part, as I feeling like I was starting melt just sitting on the couch! I managed to come across a recipe for peanut butter bars on allrecipe.com – and a comment saying they tasted just like a Reese peanut butter cup sinched the deal – I needed to make these.

Ingredients:
Base:
½ cup margerine, melted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
½ cup peanut butter

Topping:
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp peanut butter

Directions:
1. In a bowl mix together the margerine, peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs and confectioners sugar until well blended. Pour into and 8x8 pan and press evening into the bottom of the pan.
2. In a double boiler (or a bowl over hot water / a microwave safe bowl) melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter for the topping together. Melt, stiring occationly until smooth.
3. Spread the chocolate over the peanut butter base in the pan and smooth. Refrigerate for at least one hour or until set, before cutting into squares.

Review:
I loved this, but them I am usually a fan of anything involving chocolate and peanut butter. Hubby thought this was great and didn’t want to share. His lucky friends that managed to sneak one from him loved them.
Actually, he ate them all so fast, I wasn't even able to get a picture of them - although that is my fault for not taking the picture before he was able to get his hands on them! Sorry, I will update with a picture as soon as I make these again (tonight maybe?).

No comments: