Sunday, March 9, 2008

Cinnamon Buns in a Hurry


I was craving cinnamon buns today and decided to make some, only to find that I was out of yeast. Then I discovered this recipe in my old 4H cookbook. I was so happy to be able to make the buns without waiting for the dough to rise, so I decided to try it.

INGREDIENTS:
Dough:
3 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted cold butter
1 cup cold milk

Filling:
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and mix well. Add the milk, and mix. Knead until a dough is formed.
2. In a small bowl cream together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling.
3. Put 1 tsp of the filling into the bottom of each sup of a muffin tin.
4. Roll the dough out into a rectangle. Spread the filling out onto the rectangle and sprinkle with the raisins. Roll the dough into a roll and cut into 12 buns. Place a bun in each of the muffin tins.
5. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

These buns were yummy with lots of cinnamony goodness. However, the dough could have used some more liquid and 20 minutes may have been a tad long for baking. After they cooled the dough became dry and not as yummy. They were good wile they were warm, but not so much afterwards. I don't know if I will make these again.

No comments: